Monday 13 May 2013

please don't be frosty !!!

My main tomato plants are now in situ - I've got some baby Roma & Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse, but they are still tiny ... which is a good job as the squashes are still sheltering in the small greenhouse.  It's getting pretty crowded now as I've also planted up my pepper.

From the front is:  Chocolate Cherry, Gardeners Delight, Roma & Golden Sunrise.



The A Team have suffered snail damage !  I caught the dratted thing in the act, helping itself to lunch !!!!!!!!

Fortunately I have some spares - the C team maybe !!


I think this is the first time my beans have germinated at first go :)  These are my French Beans .. the Borlottos are still popping up:



Here's where the magic happens haha

These are my two courgettes that have been outside for a week or so.  One is lovely & green, but one is quite yellow ... I thought it might grow out of it, but now I'm not sure whether it's got a virus.  I'll give it some seaweed feed at the weekend and see if that picks it up.



Here are the peas ... what lovely wonky lines I've sowed !  I think this weekend I'll need to go and find some pea sticks.  I've noticed the pigeons circling already and licking their lips grrr !!


Broadbean's are still standing :)

The apple trees are dripping with blossom and their perfume is beautifully delicate.


Strawberries have started to flower

My potatoes have all made an appearance - I need to get more compost at the weekend so I can top up the bags - these are my King Edwards

Sue from Green Lane Allotments blog asked me whether my Kiwi was self-fertile and if not, whether it was male or female ... well I hadn't even thought about it. Whilst dithering and looking online for help I noticed that it appears to be forming flowering buds

... and then guess what, the plant name & care label are tied around the bottom of the plant.  Good news - it is self fertile, so I might get kiwis this season :) :)

I think these are blue corn flowers, they are just bursting into flower



This is Vic's Hop vine, it is very vigorous and seems a bit stingy when you brush it with your skin

Fergie & Kinder have been out and about checking things out.



Not much progress on my house - so I've started digging over my garden.  My basic plan will be a large circular path, likely in gravel with paving, surrounded by traditional country garden flowers in purple, blue, pink & whites.  Linked to the path will be a small circular lawn (I'm not a great grass lover) with some vegetable beds on either side

I'm going to start moving the plants from the upper garden to the lower garden - I think this is spearmint - the leaves are furry and it smells / tastes lovely

This looks like it should be a kind of vegetable or salad, but it might be a herb, or a flower ... basically I have no idea haha

another flower has appeared in the front garden - not sure what it is


The bluebells are blooming - I've got pink ones, pale blue and dark blue ones


The pond has newts !! so exciting - I saw my first one tonight.  OH is very jealous :)  Unfortunately the cats take it in turns to 'fish'  - they are obsessed with the pond contents ... hopefully they'll desist once Vic and his doggies are back from their hols.


6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the kiwi is self fertile and won't have to rely on a reluctant male like ours!

    Maybe the courgette caught a cold - the temperature has fallen off here.

    The white flower looks like a white scilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't (frosty, that is). But it did get down to 3.5deg in the greenhouse last night, which is the coldest it's been for some time. And it was distinctly chilly when I went running this morning (must wear more clothes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard there was snow forecast for the South today !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lovely blue flower looks like Centaurea montana (perennial cornflower). Someone told me recently (it may have been Sue at GLA) to cut them back after flowering because the plant gets very straggly and you'll have another flush of blooms late in the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was me. The plant sort of tells you when as the outer leaves go long and straggly and maybe also get mildew. The new growth comes from the middle of the plant. Our on the plot are juts coming into flower too and the bees love them.

      Delete
  5. oh excellent tip ... I shall definitely do that Bilbo !

    ReplyDelete