Sunday 3 April 2011

If at first you don't succeed ... cheat !!

Hmmm ... I think it best never to mention this episode again !!! Needless to say, that's the end of the wretched plastic walk-in greenhouse.



These are definitely cucumbers ... can you tell the difference in variety between the left and the right ? No ??? me neither ! Blasted kitten. The third variety hasn't appeared yet. That will just add to the fun !



Dratted little mouse has been back for a second helping of squashes and courgettes - I'll have to buy even more seeds, grrr !





This is what remains of my broadbeans after Mr Mouse has been for 2nd's and 3rd's - good job I don't like them I guess.



See that helpful label ... hmmm sunbleached. Helpful. No idea what these are. With a bit of luck they are squashes ... but I'm really not convinced. It's going really well so far LOL.



My tomatoes have appeared, but who knows that varieties they are ! Sigh.

We had a trot out to my favourite nursery at Hummanby, nr Scarborough. I got some very healthy looking Kohl Rabi, Celeriac, a rosemary busy, a melon, a pepper and an aubergine ! I think I might have missed something ? It's not cheating - it's plan b :)

Looks like I have leeks !! woohoo. Flippin' amazin' all things considered. Need to split them I think and put them into pots - maybe 30 in each - and grow them on for a while.



My frogspawn is always late - sadly not late enough to give me chance to split the yellow flag iris ... oh well, always next year !!



My flowers are adding some much needed colour to the plot - my little peoney thingy is so pretty:



Cowslips:



King Cup:



I tendered my resignation from the allotment committee this weekend, following the latest fiasco, which has resulted in the grant money that we worked so hard to get, needing to be returned to the funding body. I cannot cope with the inefficiency and total incompetency of some of the members, who seem to live on a different planet to those of us who are passionate about making the allotment site better. 6 of us resigned in total. I'm lead to believe the other half of the committee were totally oblivious. It's like a weight has been lifted - I'll have so much more free time to devote to my lottie now. Onward and upward !

6 comments:

  1. Oh Ducky. Brutally honest!

    My adventures with the "Walk In Greenhouse" last year convinced me to have no more to do with them. But it did work after I fed garden wire through the tubes and taped EVERY joint then weighed the whole thing down with 3 grobags.After that I repaired the plastic cover and taped it to the frame, discarding it at the end of the season. So this spring, not having the wherewithall in money or time to buy or built a proper greenhouse I needed a new cover. Garden centr replacement cover £24. Cost of new Walk in Greenhouse £19.99. So I ended up buying another one after all.

    Sorry to hear about your committee. Know what you mean about the saving in time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to mine too :>( Guess you hadn't tied it down either ;>) Mine is now attached to several very heavy pots and the hedge, and weighed down with bricks. Really must get a certain greenhouse put up...

    I often question as to whether the allotment association is worth all the effort, but then I remember I set ours up so I feel responsible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I'd resigned from being chair of our association I felt a weight had been lifted too. Sometimes it was like trying to move an stubborn bad tempered elephant single handed. That and the nastiness of some tenants means I'll never join a committee again! We have money in the association account just sitting there at the moment!

    We've has mouse troubles too so all our seeds now are under plastic propagator domes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. said plastic g/h was weighted down and also had 4 guy ropes securing it, but I think the frame had become so fragile it just gave way. Anyway enough of the plastic g/h !! It shall never be mentioned again :)

    Seems as we were not there to defend ourselves our lovely colleagues took the opportunity to try and besmirch our reputations and save their asses - fortunately we had a few people present with sense to see through the lies being told :)

    Top tip boys and girls, apparently Netto's have plastic tunnels for £4 - bit of a bargain and less hassle than thing that shall never be mentioned again :)

    GLA, the meeces are managing to get inside my weighted propagator domes ! they are determined little so and sos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, not a happy experience with the committee. You're well off out of it; but you knew that already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You obviously made the right decision to get off the Committee. Every year I say to myself I must get better at labelling everything and yet I'm still growing stuff without a clue what variety is what. Ah well there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete