Saturday 6 March 2010

The days are getting longer at last :)

Well we've only had a couple of half-hearted attempts at snowing this week, so perhaps Spring is about to spring into life. I saw my first lamb this week - there is something magical about those gorgeous little animals gambling around fields without a care in the world.

It is still really cold, but I really felt the need to start some seeds off, especially for the plant sale, so today I have sown:

Cauliflower - All The Year Round
Red Cabbage - Drum Head
Cat Grass for my naughty kitties
Leeks - Musselburgh
African Marigolds
Giant Sunflowers
Red Poppies
Purple Poppies
oops I forgot: broccoli & swiss chard !

They are all in the glass greenhouse, so fingers crossed.

We have a lottie meeting tomorrow so I'm taking all of my tomatoes & peppers to put into the seed oven (a wooden rack, covered in polythene with a parafin heater at the bottom). Got lots of flower seeds to sow too. The little meeces have raided my seeds - I've got lots of chewed packets and escapee beans spilling everywhere.

Once it warms up a little I'll be sowing my squashes - I seem to have about 10 varities somehow. I am getting a little anxious about where they are all going to go ! Managed to get half way through the brick potato bed now - Charlottes are looking a little past their best now, so I really need to get a shifty on and dig them all up - I have an awful feeling that I've got a full bed of Cara at the other end of the lottie ... eek.

It doesn't seem as though I'll be able to get much digging done during March - the ground is saturated, so looks like I'll be doing my 'big dig' at Easter.

4 comments:

  1. I like your enthusiasm with the seed planting! I'm going with the 'no dig' system this year - as I'm never going to get round to digging it all in time ;>)

    Re lambs: http://www.ourcowmolly.co.uk/ Not quite ready for visitors yet (next week apparently), but they usually have some that you can feed too - it helps if you have small children with you, so if you want to borrow mine :>))) Oh and their ice cream is great ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i too have sown some seed even though its been so cold - couldn't resist! It got down to -9degrees last night! i had to go out to the greenhouse and move everything back inside before they froze their toes off!
    I'm growing lots of veg and cut flowers this year& want to grow some poppies too.
    Your lottie sounds super organised, we just pay our £3 each year and thats it, no shed, water, elec meetings or anything! Still love it thou. Just taken on another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I've been feeling the need to get on and sow seeds. But it still feels too cold. I guess I'm just going to have to have faith that it'll warm up soon. That was a bit hard this morning when I was scraping ice off the car at -6C.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. argh, don't be telling me its been minus 6 !!!! They'll never germinate. pah

    ReplyDelete