Sunday 22 April 2007

Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me ..

When I took over the allotment the previous tennant had planted an apple tree next to the path at the entrance to the lottie ... I have no idea why, maybe they didn't realise it would grow branches.

Anyway, last year there was just too much going on to bother with it, so I chopped off the branches obstructing the path and I left it to produce apples. I planted my potatoes under its branches and they seemed to fair OK. The apples themselves were rather sharp tasting - granny smith taste, but with the look of golden delicious.

This year I've been giving the apple tree a lot of thought and had wanted to try and relocate it to the bottom of the plot but when I started to dig it out, unfortunately the graft was just too weak and it snapped.

OH popped up for a visit towards the end of the day - "see anything different" I asked ... "um, those logs weren't there before" ... no, they have been there for 3-4 weeks ... "um, that bush down the bottom looks different" ... no, that's the blueberry and it's unchanged.

It's a much bigger change I hinted ... blank look. Sigh, sometimes I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment